Do you currently meet BRC Traceability Requirements? BRC certification is an internationally recognised Quality Assurance standard for the food industry. BRC accreditation demonstrates compliance with it’s standard, which is based upon the Global Food Safety Initiative (GFSI) standards. Third party audits measure site performance against the standard. All audits will be slightly different, they are each unique, but most audits have commonalities. Sites that demonstrate compliance with the standard become accredited.
Version 8 of the BRC standard has 12 fundamental requirements that businesses must demonstrate to gain or maintain accreditation. One of the most complex clauses of the BRC standard is the requirement to provide full traceability of all products.
What are the traceability requirements for Issue 8 of BRC?
Clause 3.9 states that food sites must have a documented traceability procedure detailing how the traceability system works. When the BRC auditor visits sites they will check this documentation is in place and is robust. . The Global Standard Food Safety Issue 8 FAQ section clarifies the meaning and intent of FULL traceability is still the same as Issue 7. The level of evidence is dependent on the supplier, extract from this document below.
- If the raw material supplier is certificated to a GFSI-benchmarked standard, assessment of traceability systems will form part of these audits and therefore no additional action is required
- Where the raw material supplier is audited by the site and the audit includes an assessment of the traceability systems, this would comply with the requirement of clause 3.9.3 as traceability would have been assessed
- If supplier approval is based solely on a questionnaire with no additional testing of the traceability system, additional traceability verification is required. This could be via a test of the raw materials supplier
How Supply Chain Mapper can help with BRC traceability requirements
We are proud to say QADEX customers never have to take a deep breath and gulp when hearing the words BRC Audit!
“Through our tools and expertise we help our customers be audit ready 24/7.”
Stephen Whyte – MD QADEX
Our Supply Chain Mapping tool gives you a cockpit view of your entire supply chain right back to the originating field, pond or fishing vessel of any raw material. It is free for Suppliers to use and helps you identify any areas of risk, putting you back in control of your traceability procedures. Read more here.
Provided as a low cost platform to our customers and free for all of their suppliers, this removes one of the biggest excuses a supplier can offer!
Get up and running in 6 simple steps
- Register to start receiving training emails
- Add your sites
- List your users
- Register your suppliers
- Add the products you source
- Request a map from your suppliers
It is as simple as that!
Not only can you demonstrate compliance to your BRC auditor when under audit, you can share the map with all of your customers.
Click the button below to register.